Over the years, in addition to developing my own successful psychotherapy practice, I have assisted more than a thousand law firms in their marketing efforts. In many instances, I have worked with personal injury solo practitioners and with personal injury law firms. Ten years ago, we utilized television, radio, direct mail, bus and subway ads, outdoor billboards, the yellow pages, billboards, brochures and public relations campaigns to attract more clients, to increase profits and to build the brand of a law firm.
And these methods and techniques were very profitable. One firm grew from two offices to seven offices. Many firms earned a 400% return on these campaigns. Some firms got twenty new cases each month. And some lawyers landed very awards as a result of one of the ads which I developed. These techniques are detailed in one of my text books and in articles in law journals. Now, however, the marketing landscape has changed. While the objectives remain somewhat the same as they have always been, we now rely on different strategies and different tactics to expand a personal injury practice. Have a look at Law Offices of Stuart M. Kerner, P.C. for more info on this.
The biggest change in the marketing of law firms is the utilization of the internet. Personal injury attorneys need to know how to use Google, Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, video, interactive media and other tools to generate more business. Here are a few tips for personal injury attorneys who want to increase their profits now.
1. Your firm must be on the page of Google and other search engines. This can be done easily and inexpensively.
2. Your marketing materials must address the psychological needs of the injured person. Realize that the client is often a frightened victim who wants to be protected, compensated and supported with vigorous defense through the legal process. They are motivated by fear, greed, entitlement, anger andfrustration.
3. Your marketing materials must also communicate that you are the right expert for the potential clients’ cases. These materials must overcome any objections or barriers which will prevent a potential client from contacting you or your law firm.
4. People do research and shop around on the internet. You have to engage them and offer things that your competition does not or can not.
5. Persuasive video is an important marketing tool for negligence lawyers and your site should include this medium.
6. Utilize public relations in traditional media and the new media to enhance your image among referral sources and among potential clients. Publicize cases, ideas and accomplishment which will impress and educate the people you want to influence.
7. Create different landing pages for different kinds of injuries.
8. Be certain that your site make a very compelling argument for hiring your firm.
9. Realize that advertising is now interactive. So, use the new media and the new techniques to grow a community and a following for your firm.
10. Decide if you want to specialize in one area of personal injury or if you want to have a more general personal injury practice.
11. Hire a consultant who has helped to expand other law firms. This will allow you to get the visibility you need to take your practice to that next level.