Water restoration, also known as water disinfection, is the process of restoring aquatic properties which have sustained water damage to an acceptable level. The main objective of water restoration therefore is to prevent further harm to the surrounding aquatic environment. When a residential property has sustained water damage, the property may be at risk. Water damage can occur for many reasons such as overflowing gutters, overflowing storm drains, leaking plumbing pipes, floor flooding, submersion due to water leaks or even sewage damage due to overflowing septic tanks. water mold fire has some nice tips on this.
Depending on the actual scope of the damage, residential properties may not need to be disinfected to restore their properties to normal function. Common residential problems which often lead to the need for water restoration companies include black mold growth, lead leaching, toxic fungus growth and the presence of bacteria. Toxic mold spores are particularly dangerous because they have the ability to cause breathing difficulties, memory loss, dizziness, vomiting, and diarrhea among other serious health issues. It is also important to note that mold can also be very hazardous to animals so it is necessary to keep these pets out of the damaged areas until the issues with the water have been fully resolved. Additionally, if there is a history of severe animal attacks in the area, it is wise to contact a professional water restoration company as soon as possible.
One of the most common questions asked by homeowners suffering from a flood is “How do I make sure my home is safe from future water damage?”. Naturally, the safest solution to this problem is to have your home checked out by a professional water restoration company. Many homeowners will want to attempt repairing the damage themselves but unless the damage is very minimal, this approach is usually not recommended. Insurance companies also recommend that all homes undergoing major water damage restoration be insured against future mold exposure. This is because once mold is present it can often be extremely difficult to eradicate so it is better to be safe than sorry.